When an event manager is organizing a corporate retreat to the island of Maui, that combines work and fun, it’s always best to plan ahead. With so much to see and explore on the island, spending time to reflect on how to ensure your company staff gets the most out of their experience will surely pay off in the end. Here are a few top tips we think will help you navigate your planning process next time you’re in charge of planning a productive and fun corporate retreat on the islands.
- Book accommodations for the week: Yes, you’ve made the perfect first step by considering rewarding your employees with a retreat on Maui, but that’s only half the battle. In order to make it feel like a real retreat, make sure to look into booking the right space for the duration of your stay. Whether you plan to stay at one of the island’s resorts on the west side or on the south shore, here are some examples of accommodations that have conference meeting rooms available to rent on property. West Maui: Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas (4 meeting rooms, largest 3,219 sq ft), and South Maui: Kamaole Beach Royale (1 meeting room under 1k sq ft.) You could also separate your accommodations from your meeting place if you need a larger space (up to 5,220 sq ft per room) by renting out any of the 12 meeting rooms at the Kahului at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center. The Lahaina Civic Center also has 4 meeting rooms to choose from, with the the largest clocking in at a generours 20,800 sq ft! If you’re on a smaller team retreat, you might also consider booking at a low-key resort like the Maui beachfront Kahana Village resort, where you can engage with your staff in one convenient location throughout the week (and even enjoy a Mai Tai party together on Wednesdays!) Doing so will help simplify logistics, save time and include some fun.
- Spend a couple of hours each day outside: You’ve made it all the way to Maui, why keep your staff indoors? We highly recommend you take your staff outside for at least a few hours a day to enjoy the island’s scenery and get some fresh air. Studies show that nature increases productivity and decreases stress, and giving your employees time to be outside will enhance your results and create a more positive experience for everyone involved.
- Schedule time for review and reflection: At the end of each day and after each activity, make sure to give your company employees space to reflect on the demands of the day. This time will also help you in assessing the overall effectiveness of the retreat, and may even spark some inspiration for next year.
- Create corporate team-building exercises: What better way to interact with your staff than with team-building exercises! These are great methods to help build relationships with your employees and also help you understand their personalities a little better. Think about having each employee fill out a personality test and maybe even include a trust-building game. Whatever your choice may be, having a plan on how to boost team morale and relationships ahead of time will make your job easy and fun. (See past blogs on Ocean Activities for Your Corporate Retreat & Top Team-Building Ideas on Maui) Or create a fun custom sightseeing tour for your group! From history buffs to a foodies delight we can build the perfect Maui bus tour for you and your group!
- Set an intention: Before planning your corporate retreat, spend some time thinking about what you want your company and your employees to get out of the experience. Are you hoping your staff will build tighter bonds? Are you looking to motivate your staff more? Asking these questions and really digging deep will make sure you stay on mission and focused throughout the entire process.
And if you’re considering planning a retreat here on Maui, let Akina Aloha Tours help you. We will get you to and from meeting locations, accommodations and fun excursions. Visit our website to learn more about special group transportation rates. You may also request a quote or speak with one of our friendly service agents to learn more. We hope these tips help you in creating the best corporate retreat your company has ever seen. Aloha, and we look forward to serving you.